Senior Development Engineer Responsibilities:
- Take ownership of technical problems as part of a multi-disciplinary product development team
- Develop and implement creative solutions based on different technologies and key requirements
- Write prototype software in line with “good practice” guidelines for source control and testing
- Design and deliver structured experimental test programs to guide selection, optimisation and root cause understanding of engineering problems
- Write complex technical design documentation and test protocols
- Collaborate widely across the business, including clinical, usability and all engineering functions, to elicit and understand requirements
- Plan investigative work and communicate progress
- Transfer key learnings from prototype development and experimental work to engineering teams
You’ll be degree qualified in a relevant engineering or science discipline. Naturally you’ll have a strong understanding of mechanical, electronics and software engineering fundamentals, with analytical, theoretical, experimental and creative capabilities. You’ll also be a great team player, keen to work to the highest standards and focussed on delivery within agreed timescales.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A physics or broad engineering background
- Wide-ranging technical interests and practical skills
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and drive technical solutions throughout the design process
- Practical experience in experimental design, ideally using statistical and Design of Experiments methodology
- Ability to produce clear and concise technical and requirements documentation
- Good communication skills
- Experience of planning and delivering small work packages
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Project leadership of small teams
- Familiarity with high-level programming languages suited to rapid prototyping (such as Python) and database structures
- Familiarity with software source control, continuous integration and peer code reviewing tools
- Working experience with mechanical CAD systems, ideally SolidWorks
- Labview development, especially for experiment and test automation
- Experience with using Matlab
- Practical, hands-on experience with electro-mechanical systems
- Appreciation of DF(x) requirements, particularly for manufacturing, reliability and test
- Agile development methodologies
- Experience of working in a medical device development environment or industry
If you would like to be considered for this role, please apply to send a copy of your full CV – or call us now.
Whilst this position may not be of interest to you or suit your skills and experience, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with a member of the team at Willcox Matthews to understand how we can support you.
We receive a large number of applications for all of our positions – Therefore, If you have not received a response within 10 working days, your application has unfortunately been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Candidates must be eligible to work and live in the UK