Night Shift Manager
- Drive behavioural based safety throughout the plant and ensure medical treatment and target rates are adhered to. Ensure delivery of the annual HSE improvement plan and take ownership of key actions that relate to operational safety.
- To provide Major Incident Control responsibility as and when required. Responding to incidents and take control to ensure the situation is under control, inform the relevant parties and escalate or close the incident as appropriate.
- To take a lead role in Incident Investigations, follow up on actions, look for route cause (five whys) analysis – ensuring that they own the process.
- To be fully conversant in Permit To Work writing and acceptance, which will include General Work Permits, Hot Work Permits, Working at Height Permits.
- To ensure the site operation is compliant on COSHH, Engineering & legislative standards, ISO9001 and ISO14001.
- To be fully trained and responsible for Risk Assessment and overall quality of the shift output.
- Conducts regular safety checks including guarding, interlocks, traffic ways and adherence to government guidelines including social distancing.
- Manage regular stock checks to ensure accuracy of both WIP held and MRP requirements on a regular basis and align any discrepancies on the system.
- Assist with the implementation of the annual road map and daily and weekly metrics aligned to customer demand which supports the operational strategy in conjunction with the Production Manager.
- Participate in daily production meetings to keep up to date with business needs and raise any issues on line performance and materials availability that hinder the plan of customer delivery.
- Create and implement best practice in manufacturing, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve operational performance including quality.
- Own the DSUM at tier 1 & 2 ensuring all metrics are relevant and have targets that ensure problem solving is being driven by the team on a daily basis. Eg. Schedule adherence, machine utilisation, RFT, Changeover reduction, output, adherence to budget, OTIF and near miss reporting.
- Identify and execute business improvement opportunities whether P & L and capital are related and justify with the appropriate rationale and implementation of these projects based on future growth plans.
- Management of the team, including coaching, motivation, appraisals, reviews, KPI’s, one-2-one meetings, disciplinary matters and grievances as required. Ensure 6 monthly and 12 monthly appraisals with the team and set SMART objectives for each individual.
- Manages staff and attendance, including holiday entitlement.
- Establish the skill development needs for all staff and lead the training process to include an overall skills matrix.
- Oversee & review root cause analysis data and identify trends that indicate a change in performance and implement an action plan accordingly.
- Allocation & management of budgets, including overtime, headcount, department costs aligned to customer demand requirements and demonstrate the ability to flex costs accordingly.
- Drive preventive maintenance programmes including servicing and repairs of all machinery and equipment which is then recorded in the maintenance log ensuring minimum production disruption in output.
- Instigate continuous improvement initiatives and lead the change within operational activities ensuring that the SMART ideas are captured and implemented and could increase output, save time and effort.
- Lead the implementation of new systems and processes that drive the manufacturing activities.
- The ideal candidate will have extensive manufacturing experience within a management role and will be able to demonstrate a track record of idea creation and implementing change.
- The Shift Manager will need to be a strong fit from a personality and values perspective and be able to demonstrate a collaborative and entrepreneurial drive with a keen interest in mentoring and developing the existing and future team.
- The successful candidate will be able to drive a significant degree of change in the broader organisation and have the requisite collaboration and influencing skills to partner closely and effectively with key business stakeholders and field operation personnel.
- The individual must demonstrate strong leadership skills to develop his/ her organisation against a background of rapid development.
- Critical to the success of the operation and the individual will be the ability to engage and enable their workforce to apply the afore mentioned skills. This will require the individual to demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and have a positive coaching style.
- The individual will require to be comfortable in challenging poor performance and providing open and honest feedback to develop his / her team.
- Ideally educated to degree level or equivalent work-based experience.
- Mechanical engineering knowledge is preferred.
- Knowledge of HSE processes and standards.
- Extensive manufacturing experience with a proven management record.
- Able to demonstrate the development and maintenance of strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance.
- Technical understanding.
- Understanding of Lean Manufacturing and understanding of continuous improvement techniques.
- Knowledge of SAP and scheduling systems.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- The chance to be part of a dynamic and collaborative team
- A competitive salary and 31 days holiday
- Flexible holiday buy/sell scheme
- Recognition and reward scheme
- Internal and external learning and development
- Subsidised Café
If you would like to be considered for this role, please apply to send a copy of your full CV – or call us now.
Whilst this position may not be of interest to you or suit your skills and experience, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with a member of the team at Willcox Matthews to understand how we can support you.
We receive a large number of applications for all of our positions – Therefore, If you have not received a response within 10 working days, your application has unfortunately been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Candidates must be eligible to work and live in the UK